Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ever had one of THOSE days?.....

Ever feel like this picture in the middle of a school day?  Well you know how at the beginning of this week I was talking about how great things were going and things were going since we "switched it up"?  I should have known this would happen not long after writing that post.  Friday was a completely different day.

The morning started off wonderful.  We started our school day in the Word and learning more about our character trait for the week.  This week's character trait was selflessness, and so in order to practice selflessness, we made some cookies to give to the kids great grandfather who just lost his wife in April.  Things were going so good, I was so excited for our day.  

Then came lunchtime.

Mommy became frazzled, just as the cartoon pictures.  I was overwhelmed with the mess of the kitchen and making everyone's lunch and the baby just wouldn't stop crying, I guess she wanted to eat or something.  So then mommy became very very tired.  I should have known then to take a break. But I didn't, I kept on because I just wanted to be done.  Which from past history, I know is the worst mindset to have as a homeschool parent so I have no clue why I didn't recognize it.

So after lunch, and all the cleanup, we continued on with our schoolwork.  Baby was finally asleep so this should be easier, right?  No, not so much...it just got worse because mommy was tired and mommy should have taken a break!  I noticed myself becoming more and more agitated with the kids and my anger growing with every act of disobedience. 

Finally when I found my self yelling at my son to stop doing something I had just told him not to do, I knew then it was time to stop school work for awhile.

So you know what I did?  I went to my bedroom and laid face down and cried.  I felt like the absolute worse mom in the world and an even worse homeschool mom.  I laid there and just rested for about 15 minutes or so, almost falling asleep, while I heard my 3 blessings in the kitchen playing an alphabet bingo game and addition puzzle together.

Then I thought of something.  I am sure I can't be the only homeschool parent who has let their oldest child teach the children for awhile while mommy regains her strength (and her sanity in my case).  Really, what is it hurting?  He is learning a lot of patience in working with his siblings (our oldest is almost 8) while the other 2 (6 years and 5) are learning things probably far more advanced then I would be teaching them. 

So tell me homeschool parents....have you ever come to this?  Letting your oldest child/children teach the younger for an afternoon?  I would love to hear your thoughts on this.  

And remember, I am being REAL with you, so please no judging.  Not all our days will be this way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment