Thursday, October 25, 2012

5 things to do on the days you just can't...

What do you do on the days of school that you just can't go anymore.  You can't stand to see one more worksheet, one more math problem, or one more baby standing on top of the table.  You just plan out don't want to do school that day.

Well that was us today, and what did we do?

5 year old is being a bird !
 FIELD TRIP!! 

We have been studying about birds and feathers the last few weeks in Science, so what better than an impromptu field trip to the Duck Pond with my loves! 

We did bring our math books in the car and worked on it on the way, along with some reading, but once we arrived at the Duck Pond we were free.  Free to explore His amazing creation.  His beautiful scenery and His animals of all different beautiful varieties.   We were able to look at the ducks spread their wings, check out their feathers and like I said, see all their different varieties.

Can someone please tell me what kind of bird this is?  We can't figure it out
We took pictures to come back home and draw what we saw in our Nature Journals.  We also were able to check a few more things off our Nature Walk Scavenger Hunt list! 


So I thought I would put a list together for you (and me!) of things you can do when you just need something different:
  1. Like I said, Impromptu Field Trips.  It doesn't have to be anything that costs money.  A trip to the library is great.  How about the Fire Station or daddy's work.  Or maybe like we did, you have an area pond or river you can visit.  Keep it Simple!
  2. Bake, Bake, Bake!  There is so much math you can derive from baking.  Weight, fractions, adding, multiplying (if you are doubling the recipe), etc.  Also, if you have your child read the recipe, there's your reading lesson for the day!
  3. Go on a Nature Walk.  I know the last thing you want to do sometimes when you are tired is go on a walk, but really every time I get my butt up off the couch and go for a walk, I feel 10X better when I get back.  Some how I always have more energy after the walk and a clearer head.  It must be those endorphins ;)
  4. Have a free craft day.  I know, I am not the one that would usually suggest this.  I am not the crafty one.  I do not enjoy crafts much at all.  I despise them so much most of the time that I only have us do Art/crafts one day out of the week.  But if you are having one of those days that you just don't want to fight over that math problem/ writing project again, then bring out the craft box and let them have a go at it!  You will most likely be amazed with the things they make, from what YOU have taught them.  Let them use their imagination and you get back some of your sanity.
  5. Above all else, PRAY for your homeschool so you don't burn out.  Prayer is the main ingredient to a successful homeschool I believe, and something I, honestly, could be doing more of.  So let's not forget the One who called us to this position in the first place and go to Him with all our worries, exhaustion, tears, struggles and let Him give us the wisdom and strength to carry on.
What suggestions would you have?  What do you do on days where you are close to burnout?
I would love to hear them because I need more ideas!
And this is how our day ended.  What better way to end it then mud on the jeans and no shirt because you feel in the bushes!  That's a good day!


Keep it REAL with HIM
*Alyssa**









No comments:

Post a Comment